Wednesday, December 31, 2008

To Run or Not To Run…


Sept.1, 2008


Well, this was an interesting labor day…my 4 ½ yr. old son Logan was having a hard morning. He kept doing wrong things…so he was put in time out a lot… well, he finally got fed up with our family and decided he wanted a new one. He told me and Kirtis that he wants a new family and he’s going to leave to find one. Kirt let him know to make sure he picked out a good one. Well, as soon as dad left to make a quick trip to Home Depot. Logan took his little Dr. Seuss back pack loaded up some clothes, his tooth brush, tooth paste, underwear and socks, his sleeping bag and was headed out the door. Well, it was getting cloudy outside and I told him that he should put on a jacket. Well, he wanted his warm red down jacket. I told him that we would need that for our other son Landon when he got older…so I gave him a light jacket.( In hope’s of making life a little harder for him and thus want to stay home.) Well, he politely thanked me and said he was ready to go. He gave me a kiss and a hug and off he went out our front door. I watched him through our screen door. Our poor neighbors not able to see me at the door thought Logan was out on his own. They asked him to come back and to go home. Logan just kept walking on our very busy street which really made me nervous. Good thing I taught him about street safety because to my utter surprise he crossed this very busy street while looking both ways. I nearly had a heart attack! I grabbed Landon and started walking outside along the same street. I started to whistle and look around as though I wasn’t trying to watch Logan. Logan stopped and noticed me coming. As I got behind him I said “ Oh, Logan fancy meeting you here!” He quickly replied, “Mom, are you following me?”. I then told him I decided to go on a walk and asked if he would mind if I walked with him while he was looking for a new family. He said that was fine. Well, we finally stopped in front of a red brick house with a chain link fence. He said, “ Alright Mom, this is the place”…I told him alright ( while thinking the entire time what I should do to convince this rather energetic, strong willed child of being at home with our family.) I was praying for guidance. Well, he opens the fence door walks up the walk way and to me surprise again…just opens the door and walks right in to this house. I called after him. (Luckily, I knew this lady from our ward in our church.) He didn’t get far the lady came out and asked what was going on. I let her know that Logan is tired of our family and that he’s decided he wants a new family and that this looked like a good place to stay. She then went on to say that she is alone and doesn’t have time for children and that he has a very good mother already…unconvinced Logan looked confused and wasn’t sure what to do. I told him that this lady didn’t need a child and that she didn’t have time for him. I went on to let him know though, that I needed him and that I love having him in my family. Well, that didn’t have any effect on him sooo he let me know that he was simply going to look somewhere else. I said, “Alright, where are we off to now?” He then crossed the busy street again and this time I was right near him and started walking to this house that was brand new ( it was maybe a year old). He let me know that this house looked great and that this was definitely the place for him….So, I told him to go a head and knock on the door. He did and stood there…looking at me and letting me know that I could go now since he found the family for him. After he knocked we heard sounds of very loud and big dogs. The lady opened the door and looked at him and then me. I let her know that Logan was tired of our family and wanted a new one and he thought that this house was the place for him. She stared at me (probably thinking I’m a nut) and looked at him and told him that her and her husband were the only one’s there and that they have grand children, they look after here and there and that they had their hands full with them and also that they have really big dogs. I told Logan that these people also didn’t want him, that they didn’t have room for him and that the big dogs might trample him and be too big for him to be around. (He wasn’t so sure of the big dogs! ) I let him know though, that I wanted him and that I needed him around in my family…that it just wouldn’t be the same without my Logan. He said “But, I need a new family.” It then started to rain…I let Logan know that I needed to go because Landon was getting wet and I didn’t want him to catch a cold. I went on to say that we could come back another day and look for a new family if he would like. Logan noticing that it was getting cold and wet agreed. We opened up his sleeping bag and started back home huddled underneath it. (Although it didn’t work very well, he was too slow or too fast at different times and so we eventually ran for it.) Dad mean while noticed we weren’t home and drove around to find us. He picked us up in the car and took us home. We got inside the house and the discussion began. Logan took off his coat and asked if he could watch a movie…Dad, with a twinkle in his eye looked at him and said, “Well, I know that your mom and I would let you watch a movie…but since your looking for a new mom and dad we can’t be sure what their new rules for you would be. They might not want you to watch movies or t.v….so we better not turn anything on, because we don’t want to disobey their rules.” Logan stood there not knowing what to do and thought about that. He then says “Mom, may I have some hot chocolate?” I looked at Kirtis for a moment and then turned to Logan and said “Well, I know I would let you have some hot chocolate, but I’m not sure if your new mother would want you to have something so sweet…and I don’t want to break your new mom’s rules so we better not”. At this point he looked like all life’s happiness was dashed away. I then walked with him in the other room and said…”You know, I love you and I really want you to be in my family.” He then said, “O.k. Mom I’ll be your son for another day!” I told him that I didn’t just want him for another day…that I wanted him to be mine FOREVER …. He looked at me and said “O.k. Mom, I want to be yours forever too!”. I then gave him a big hug and told him that we need to get him out of his wet clothes and into some dry one’s and that I’ll make both of us some hot chocolate and we’ll watch a movie together. He smiled and hurried into the other room to let his Dad know that he was going to be his Forever. I am truly grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that is all knowing and blessed me with the help I needed.

0 comments: